Growing Up Hertz

Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Wuh You... Too.

So, today, Josh stayed home because I had a playdate with the boys at Fremont Park. Phin fell asleep for the playdate, so I left him home with Daddy and me and Yorick went to the park ourselves.

The parking was atrocious, I don't know if they were hosting free bingo at the Senior Center next to the park, or what, but I had to drive around the block a few times just to find some street parking. Yorick is always so hyped up to see "FRENNNNNNNS" all the way there, and then we get there, and he really doesn't play with the other kids. This bothers me so much, he has a brother, he should be used to playing with other kids by now. All he likes to do is take their toys and hoard them.

M was there with her two kids, T, who is about 6 months older than Yorick and J, who is about 3 or 4 months younger than Phin. T and Yorick ended up fighting over a plane and helicopter that was another kids' altogether. This was the same park that Yorick coveted a Thomas the Train spoon that was being used to feed an infant and he had to be carried kicking and screaming to the car because he couldn't have it, so, already, I have bad feeling about Fremont "Free Bingo" Park.

We went and got his Lightning McQueen ball, which I thought would chill him out, but he latched on to two tiny balls, a soccer ball and a football, and he hid up in the playscape with them when he saw N (the balls' mommy) looking for them. He apparently told her "NO" and played keep away when she requested he return them so she could leave. She actually sent me after the balls and, while I took the McQueen ball to compensate, a shrieking fit definitely occurred. So, I told him we were going to pack up and leave, after we had been there for about an hour and fifteen minutes, which seems to be my limit, we always seem to start to leave right at the 75 minute mark, ha. He wanted to go on the swing, so I relented and let him swing, but I made him go too high and he wanted "DOWN" pretty quick.

Leaving was... spectacular. I had everything packed up, gave him something to do ("can you push/carry/kick/throw your dirt truck allllll the way to the car??"), promised him Da-Da and a sandwich if he'd just get in the car, but no... meltdown-o-rama ensued. What the hell must these other mothers think of me?? Their kids certainly don't do this... and 8 times out of 10 playdates, I have to carry a shrieking, kicking Yorick all the way to the car. It's completely humiliating.

We got to the car, he wanted to play with the steering wheel, I let him while I packed up the trunk, and apparently we were friends again over this. He even hopped into his carseat and let me strap him in for it and LO AND BEHOLD, I EVEN GOT THE HOLY FRICKIN GRAIL...

I said, "Kiss?"
And he KISSED me!!! I couldn't believe it!! Those are rarities in this house. Usually, I get, "NOOOOO" and the avoiding head twist.

His nap was oddly short after we got home.

Putting him to bed tonight during me and Josh's nightly NYE-NYE Waltz was actually sweet. He requested a baba refill and I said, "What do you say?"

And he replied with, "I wuh you...

too."

**thud**

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww! That is pretty awesome. I just got my first kiss from Zoe too (well, she held her mouth totally still and then sort of hit her face against mine, lol). Usually she's not the most affectionate kid either, but that just means everything we do get means that much more!

Post a Comment